Broken controls, unable to reset to default

Sprint

Guildcard
I was using Soly's input mapper to rebind my gamepad.

Never had issues doing this before. If I mess up I can usually just go back in with the keyboard.

However, things seem to have completely broken when I mapped multiple d-pad directions to a different button to experiment with using the d-pad for keyboard hotkeys.
After doing this, pressing up or down *on the keyboard* now triggers every single action assigned to the *gamepad* button.

This happens even without a gamepad plugged in.

I can still log in and get into the menu, but there's no way to navigate down to the options menu to change the controls back to default.
Clearing data locally doesn't help because the settings are saved server-side and just get reapplied after logging in.

Is there any way to reset the controls to default on the account?

I can still log in and get into the menu, but there's no way to navigate down to the options menu to change the controls back to default.
Clearing data locally doesn't help because the settings are saved server-side and just get reapplied after logging in.
Never used this tool, but it probably writes directly to memory. So why not login on a char, use the tool to set your defaults, open the keyboard config/pad config menu, use the tool again (because opening those config menus will load settings from server again), and then change anything to cause that config to save?

The tool only works for gamepads with the options menu open, which I can't get to because of broken up and down inputs.

Normally that wouldn't be an issue since you could just use the keyboard, but I seem to have run into a rare situation where the gamepad config also prevents keyboard inputs from working correctly.

Last edited:
The tool only works for gamepads with the options menu open, which I can't get to because of broken up and down inputs.

Normally that wouldn't be an issue since you could just use the keyboard, but I seem to have run into a rare situation where the gamepad config also prevents keyboard inputs from working correctly.
Okay, I'll reset your controls. Sending you a PM first.

Resolved! Thanks a lot.

Testing on a throwaway sandbox account I managed to reproduce what I did to break it.

Short version:
When using the Input Map tool, do not close the gamepad config while multiple actions are assigned to one button, as there is a chance they may conflict in a way that completely breaks not just the gamepad but ALL controls.
My own solution is to just delete the tool and not use it again. I'd rather use less convenient but safer means to get my desired control mapping.

Long version:
The most important detail is that unlike the in-game editor, the Input Map tool does not automatically reassign things when two actions end up assigned to the same button or key. The game is not programmed to handle this.

If Select Up or Select Down ends up assigned to the same gamepad button as any other action then it essentially breaks being able to navigate menus in that direction on ALL input devices. The clashing gamepad actions will all be fired no matter which input device you use to try to move the cursor.

Do this to both Select Up and Select Down or assign Select Up and Select Down to the same button, and the control mapping is now completely broken and you can't get back in to fix it.

There's potential for other actions to clash and break in the same way, but I didn't get to test much because I already broke the test account. That's how easy it is.

Back